Have you ever known anyone who just goes on and on about themselves? They talk about how they are doing this, or doing that, how great they are at something, how they know so much about this little thing, they are just so wonderful and great. Annoying, isn’t it?
When someone goes on and on about how they are all that, the one thing for certain it shows is that they are not. Someone who talks about how hot they are isn’t, and the more they insist that they are, the more that they aren’t.
I’ve long been annoyed by the entire “magic” thing that Disney has been promoting. It’s always rubbed me the wrong way. I never realized why. I would just respond with “There’s no such thing as magic” when people would talk about it. But I’ve finally come to realize just what is wrong with it.
Just like a bad date where the other person does nothing but talk about themselves and how wonderful they are, Disney does nothing but tell everyone how magic they are, and how they make everyone’s dream come true. It is exactly the same thing, and it is annoying for exactly the same reason.
I will decide if I think you’re a wonderful person. Your telling me that doesn’t convince me. Likewise, Disney telling me they are my dream come true is a decision that I am to make, it is not up to them to tell me such a thing, and making such presumptive comments only pushes them further from their stated self-importance to me.
It smacks of desperation. In previous years, Disney would just present what it had to present, and the public would decide that it was a magical experience for them. Or maybe they’d decide it wasn’t. Disney did not tell people how to think. Now, with their offerings slipping into second-rate, they have to tell the public that what they are offering is wonderful, because if they don’t, the likelihood is that the public might just realize it isn’t all that.
A very good example of this is the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor (or factory, or whatever it’s called) in Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom. In the waiting area of this show, you are told over and over again that the show you are about to see is FUNNY. FUNNY, damn it. The fact is if it really was funny, you wouldn’t need to be told, you’d simply laugh, because it’d be funny. The sad truth is that it is not funny. It’s actually a rather painful experience. This show is particularly sad because you can look about the room and see where the CircleVision screens used to be. CircleVision was the previous attraction at this location made when Disney was actually an innovative entertainment company offering experiences you could get nowhere else. That was magic. Monsters Inc Laugh Factory (Floor) is not. It’s pandering. Cynical pandering to a public they think is blisteringly stupid enough to believe whatever Disney tells them to believe.
Disney needs to put itself back into the position of being confident in the products that they produce. The attitude should not be “Isn’t this great? Aren’t we great? You should be SO VERY entertained!.” Instead, it should be “Here. This is our presentation.” Then my reaction should be “Wow that was great. They are great! I’m so very entertained!” But because they have tried to juice my reaction to what they are doing, they have raised my expectations to an unrealistic level, and when they do not meet it, I sense cynicism on their part, which makes me feel it more so towards them.
Nothing shows this attitude on their part more than when they stick the word “Disney’s” onto something they are doing. Disney’s California Adventure. Disney’s Animal Kingdom. And so on. It even started extending to movies. There is one film out called “Disney’s The Kid.” You know why they do this? Because they know they have (or had) a brand name that is almost an endorsement of quality with the public. If they could slap that name on something that may not otherwise be a good offering, the public will still flock to it. They have actually done studies with animated films that score lower when the makers are a different studio than Disney. If the Disney name is on the exact same film, then the film that scored poorly before then scores higher. It is like the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval for family entertainment, and people respond to it. However, they squander that by putting the name on things that are not just lesser efforts, but things that are absolute embarrassments.
In order to keep that good name, they have to make sure that everything they do is superior, and they shouldn’t need to crow about it. Instead, they slap their name on things not worthy to have it, and tell people how wonderful it is, when it usually falls far short of wonderful. Then they wonder why people complain.
Confidence in their productions and presentations is an essential component to making Disney what they claim to be. You cannot force that confidence, and you cannot lie about it. The public knows what they are getting, and will only tolerate so many mistakes. While they are willing to forgive a misfire now and then, a steady diet of cynically presented junk creates an aura of anger and resentment. This eventually results in loss of status, customer base, and money. The confidence can only come from knowing that what you are doing is uncompromisingly the best quality you can hope to do. You don’t get confidence from throwing out schlock that you think the public will suck up because you are manipulating them through the loyalty towards your good name.
The folks at Disney must know they are now slipping into second-rate status. Perhaps they feel they were so far ahead of anything anyone else was doing, it really isn’t a problem, and perhaps they are right. They still make a lot of money on millions of visits per year. Nevertheless, their behavior shows that there is a creeping awareness that what they are doing is simply not as good as it once was, and whereas before people once innately understood it was a quality class act, now they have to be reminded.
And while most people don’t care, those who do pay attention have seen what has gone wrong and watch it as it continues to spiral down. What once was is not how it is, nor how it seems it will ever be again. It used to be a great big beautiful tomorrow. That’s the last thing it looks like now.
4 comments:
That's IT! Honestly Jon, I have really had a hard time putting my finger on it, but lately, whenever I have seen a billboard or light board or some advertising for Disneyland that claims to make dreams come true or make things magic, it has bothered me no end. Now I know why.
My peeve was with all this Year of a Million Dreams stuff. Handing out ears, or pins, or making me and my family some sort of quasi celebrity in a parade or room within the park is no dream of mine. And I have dreams they dang well better not make come true!
This business of promoting itself with self congratulatory chatch phrases is just so smarmy.
GREAT observation.
I couldn't agree with you more. I was thinking about this the other day, and came to a similar conclusion. You articulated what I was thinking much better, though! Last year I was planning a return visit to Walt Disney World after a nine year absence. I ordered one the the "trip planning" DVD's prior to my trip. Now, I'm not a "cynical" type person, but, I found the overdone Year of a Million Dreams force-fed "message of magic" literally sickening. I wanted to gag while watching the presentation. That's only one example of them having to pound it into the consumer's heads how "great" they are. You're absolutely right, if the quality is there, they wouldn't need to.
Hey Jon,
I really dig your blog...been meaning to drop you a line and just let you know the lone voice isn't alone!
AB
http://www.plausible-impossible.com
Well put Jon. Maybe the new birthday "What will you celebrate?" promotion won't be so forced.
I enjoy your blog, but I have to wait and read the WALL*E post after I see the DVD!
keep in touch,
nancy
Post a Comment